Monday, November 08, 2004

Enjoy Every Blog

My wonderful wife recently gave me a copy of the Warren Zevon tribute cd "Enjoy Every Sandwich." We listened to the cd the first time while on a roadtrip to Winslow, Arizona. I have to admit that when I initially heard about the project, I was somewhat skeptical of Adam Sandler's contribution to the project. That said, I did try to enter into listening to the album with an open mind. Adam's cover of "Werewolves of London" is the second song on the cd, so I figured that even if it sucked, something better would come along and make me forget about it before I got to the end. Interestingly, it wasn't that bad. In fact, it was pretty good. Joining Adam was Waddy on electric guitar, Jorge Calderon on bass guitar, and Mick Fleetwood on drums.

I'm looking forward to listening to the cd on a stereo at home since driving in a jeep on the freeway at 85 miles per hour obviously isn't the best way to listen to music. Still, I can say that overall, the cd is worth owning. Some of the highlights (in my opinion) include Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt's cover of "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (knocking Linda Ronstadt's version down to number three on my list), Bruce Springsteen's live cover of "My Ride's Here," Jordan Zevon performing "Studebaker," and the first cut on the cd... Don Henley performing "Searching for a Heart." I was also impressed that the Pixies are on the cd, even though I've never been a huge fan of "Ain't That Pretty At All." And perhaps the most surprising thing was that Bob Dylan doesn't completely mutilate "Mutineer."

Other contributors to the cd include Steve Earle and Reckless Kelly ("Reconsider Me"), The Wallflowers ("Lawyers, Guns and Money"), Pete Yorn ("Splendid Isolation"), David Lindley and Ry Cooder ("Monkey Wash, Donkey Rinse"), Jill Sobule ("Don't Let Us Get Sick"), and Jorge Calderon and Jennifer Warnes ("Keep Me In Your Heart").

I suppose if any efforts on the cd are bad enough to make Warren spin in his pine box, it would have to be Billy Bob Thornton's cover of "The Wind." Ugggh!

The album certainly makes one think... If I was going to pull together a Zevon tribute album, I wouldn't be able to call it complete until it contained the following:

Neil Young - Veracruz
Billy Joel - Piano Fighter
R.E.M. - Dirty Little Religion
Paul Schaeffer & the CBS Orchestra - Hit Somebody!
Rolling Stones - I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
Garbage - French Inhaler
Steely Dan - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner
Lazy Lightning - Gridlock
Carly Simon - The Indifference of Heaven
Pink Floyd - Something Bad Happened to a Clown
Dick Dale - The Hula Hula Boys
DEVO - Leave My Monkey Alone
Willie Nelson - Heartache Spoken Here
Lou Reed - Gorilla, You're a Desperado

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great list!

But if we lived in a perfect world, Tom Brokaw and Larry King would give their best to 'Accidently Like a Martyr'.