Monday, December 19, 2005

every krismas tells a story don't it?

While doing some shopping last week, I couldn’t help but be entertained by a number of the people who crossed my path. The one that stands out above the rest though was this young lad who reminded me of Ralphie Parker (complete with glasses) from A Christmas Story. I probably would have mentioned him even if I hadn’t overheard him trying very hard to attract the attention of either his mother or grandmother- both of which were so busy looking for bargains that they were ignoring him completely.

This kid was literally hanging from a red sequin-covered women’s blouse exclaiming “This is what I want people… Dots!” I couldn’t believe that neither of the women would even toss him a courtesy, “You’ll put your eye out.”

The scene reminded me of when I was young and would drop subtle hints by leaving the JCPenny and Sears toy catalogs open on pages with awesome items on them (such as the Marx Fort Apache plastic cowboys and Indians set that came in this really swell metal case that also served as the fort). Everyone tells me that Christmas is for kids. Is it really? I’m not buying it for a second. Christmas is for merchants, the post office and greeting card companies. Are they children?

So what is it you want for Christmas? Anyone interested in FREE music? That’s right… completely free with no fees of any kind, and you don’t even have to give your email address to obtain the tunes. Bill McKirgan, one of my buddies from way back, is part of a midwestern band called Terrapin. They are currently giving away FREE mp3 files of a few of their original songs as well as covers of Grateful Dead and John Prine tunes. Check them out and ENJOY! If you work for a record label, I urge you to sign them to a contract in the near future.

1 comment:

Chriswab said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.