Saturday, December 24, 2005

a little bit western





Admittedly, I’ve never been much of a “joiner.” However, I couldn’t resist when offered the opportunity to take photographs for a local radio station (92.3 KRST) during their attempt to create a gigantic Christmas card to send to troops unable to spend the holidays with friends and families in the states.



The energetic morning personalities that make up the extremely popular Get Up Gang could not have asked for a better day (in December anyway) to try to get 1,000 listeners to contribute a couple hours of their busy Saturday for the effort. Unfortunately, the turnout was less than ideal to do justice to their concept.





I urge you to check out Levi and Dawson’s blog to see a bunch of photos I took for them. Although I’m including a teaser photo showing the volunteers practicing creating the “card,” I’m not going to include the final photo here since it is available on their blog. Seriously, go check it out.



Another item that recently captured my attention is the city of Albuquerque’s plan to provide FREE books for people using the public transportation system. As you may be aware, the city’s Rapid Ride buses are equipped to provide wireless web access to commuters. That’s great, but the fact that riders on ALL city buses who don’t have laptop computers are not being overlooked is fantastic!

I find it interesting that the list of book donation locations available on the city website fails to include the most obvious solution for people wishing to donate a handful of books. That is, to simply carry some books onto a bus during a future commute, and leave them on the seat when you depart. Just think, the next time you spot a copy of Contract Archaeology: The Coloring Book on a city bus, you’ll know I’ve been on board.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled on this and just wanted to tell you I liked it.

Enjoyed your pics of the X-Mas card. I was there that day. I'm the guy with the brown jacket, sunglasses, and brown 'Ford' hat.

Take care and Happy New Year!!!